Since my hubs died I have decided to start a new tradition. My kids are older they don’t need that many toys and they don’t need a lot of things. When my hubs died they always talked about the trips we took not the things we bought so I decided that from now on during the holidays we would travel somewhere. I don’t know if we will do it every Christmas but right now we are going to embrace the new tradition and spend some time in other cities for the holiday. It’s expensive as hell to go somewhere for the holidays so here are my tips to save on cost and money
- try to book early. As early as possible
- Stay at an Airbnb it’s cheaper than the hotels
- Find out what you can do for free and pitch if you are a blogger
- Stay with someone else in the town you are going too (we did this last year and saved on hotel)
- Don’t stay on site and you can possibly stay up to an hour away and just drive. It’s sometimes cheaper
- Flights are expensive, find someone that works at Delta and use those rewards
I am a single mom working a fulltime blog and a full-time business. I can’t afford a lot of trips so what I promised the kids we would do is take two trips a year. One in the spring (less crowded than summer) and one for the holidays. Those will be our two trips per year until they grow up and leave the nest. Last year we visited Nashville, TN (Opryland) for the holidays. We took in a play, ate at some new places, and relaxed at my friend’s house. I didn’t have to spend a boatload of money on hotels and since we ate at a house it was cheaper than going out. I didn’t spend a lot of money at all and it was a very nice Christmas. This year we are deciding to either do Savannah or Biltmore Estates. Make sure you follow along to see which one we picked! If you are looking to break tradition and travel for the holidays let me give you a roundup of some places to go
- New York City – It’s too cold for me. New York is a different type of cold but if you can stand it I would suggest you visit New York for the holidays. It’s a beauty from what I see on tv. You can ice skate, take in the Nutcracker, and eat some fabulous food.
- Walt Disney – I was debating this one for a long time but I don’t know about that crowd during the holidays. This may be good for little kids and you can make this their Christmas present
- Christmas at Biltmore Estates – So this is high on our list for this year. Right now I am crunching costs and numbers but we are leaning towards this.
- Christmas in Savannah, GA – This is second on our list. I love Savannah and I have never been during the holidays I know it’s magical and maybe a little cheaper than Biltmore.
- Christmas at Gaylord – We went last year and it was breathtaking. I can’t believe I didn’t do a post about it. It’s okay I lived in the moment lol. Trust me when I say this is worth every penny
- Banff, Canada – I was trying to stick to places in the US but I could not let this one pass me by. I may do this one if I can just stand the cold
- Hershey, PA – Chocolate for Christmas….why not. I have been to Hershey once in the summer and it was so nice. I can’t wait to visit again
- Santa Claus, Indiana – I mean this may be the best one on the list….Christmas in a real-life town that’s named after the man in red…..yep put it on your list.
- Grapevine, Texas – I am always looking for warmer weather spots. I think this may be where we travel to next year if we don’t’ do the Disney Cruise
- Christmas in my Hometown of Charleston, SC – I want my kids to experience the magic of Christmas like I did when I was a child. Of course, things have changed greatly but this will probably be one of the places we visit for the holidays in about 2 years. I am secretly saving this one for the last year my son is in high school. It will be the last year he is home with us and I want to make it very special
Whatever you do for the holidays make it a special one and bump tradition do your own thing. Make a plan, save your money, find a friend, and go. I promise you these kdis will remember the trips more than the gifts. What are your plans for the holidays? Where should I go this year Biltmore or Savannah?