I love apples. I prefer them cooked to eating them regular and I know most people prefer it the other way around. My grandma made the best apple pie ever and I am so mad at myself for not getting that recipe before she passed. Even my mom couldn’t perfect that recipe so I was forced to come up with my own. It still doesn’t taste like granny’s but it will do.
A few weeks ago we went apple picking at BJ Reece Orchards up in the mountains of GA. It was a two hour drive from me so we decided to spend the entire weekend up that way. We had a blast picking apples! It was my kids first experience with apple picking and they loved it. We got to pet animals, drink real apple cider, smell apple pie baking, see various types of apples, and enjoy a bite or two of them. We went when it was still warm so the sun was shining and it was hot. I suggest go sometime in October and make it an annual family trip. The apple pie……OMG it was the bomb. We bought one of each flavor and ate that bad boy that weekend. Don’t forget to get some apple cider…my daughter said it tasted…..very appelly. When you go prepare for some things
- Walking….the hills are high and the walking was a lot but it was great exercise
- Your kids will try to eat the apples….be prepared
- If you have little ones you will have to pick them up to reach the trees they always want the ones on top
- There are a lot of bad apples on the ground make sure you watch your kids so they don’t pick them up
- Check the weekend that you go because a lot of things may not be open for you to do
My favorite kind of apple is the granny apples. The green ones are not too sweet and not too bitter so just right for me. What’s your favorite apple? Did you know that there are many benefits to apples. Let’s name some….
- Apples help with endurance especially when you are about to exercise. Try eating an apple before you go for your daily walk or go to the gym. Apples contain an antioxidant called quercetin, which allows oxygen to reach the lungs more easily
- Apples contain malic acid which can be found in some teeth whitening. So my advice…chew down good on your apple and let it rub all over your teeth
- Apples are high in vitamin C….an apple a day keeps the colds and doctors away
- Apples contain compounds called triterpenoids, which may fight against certain cancers like liver, breast, and colon.
- Apples improve memory
- Great snack for kids in the afternoon
I buy the packs for my kids and get them some peanut butter to dip it in. It’s a great snack for the kids and when they come home from school so hungry….I offer them an apple. This holiday season if you make apple pie let me know!
Have you been apple picking this fall? What’s your favorite thing about apple picking?