I am a fan of easy meals that I can enjoy with my family that doesn’t cost a lot.
The total cost to make this soup was around $8.00. It was more than enough to feed a family of 4 and have leftovers for the next day. Let me break down the cost.
Can of tomatoes was $1.09
The tortellini was on sale at Publix by one get one free. Since you can get one at half price I got one pack which was $1.50
I already had olive oil, Onion, and Chicken Broth. Bag of spinach was around $1.29
Parmesan Cheese was $2.00
Total = Rounded to about $7.00 with taxes
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (more or less to taste)
- 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (20 oz) package refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 6 – 9 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour in chicken broth and water, then increase temp to high heat and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, add tortellini, season with salt and pepper to tastes and boil 7 minutes (I boiled my tortellini first but you can do it this way also)
- Stir in sugar, tomatoes, spinach, and basil and cook until heated through and spinach wilts. Serve warm topped with Parmesan cheese.