How was your Christmas Holiday? Mine was spent at Biltmore Estates in Asheville, NC. I decided to spend the holidays in NC at the Biltmore because I wanted something that was easy to drive to and I also wanted to relax with some wine. Why not kill two birds with one stone!
We had to make reservations since it was Christmas Day. On busy days they ask that you make reservations to keep the crowd down. Our reservations were at 10:30 but we arrived at 10am. It was brisk…..let me rephrase that it was cold as hell. Layer up if you are going to the Biltmore in the winter. You need to look like an abominable snowman. I was not properly dressed but I had a feeling it would be cold so I made sure my kids were. The place was not as crowded as I thought probably because they had time blocks. The drive into Biltmore was long but it moved quick.
They have a recorded audio guide that you can pay extra for to get the history of each room you go into. Make sure you get that so that you won’t be lost. Let me say this…..Biltmore Estates is not for kids. Unless they are interested in History they won’t know whats going on. They have the areas roped off so that no one touches anything but my kids were bored after the first 10 minutes. They complained about the walking and more stairs and OMG why is the bed so little. They can’t even live in my era much less the era of when the Biltmore was first established. They don’t know anything besides electronics….sad really but times are different. I enjoyed the Biltmore because I love the pretty trees and I love to know the history of things. We only saw about 5 kids total there so don’t pay for them to come.
The scenery was gorgeous! The kids were awing and oohing over the trees and the lights. That excited them!
Here are a few tips
- Do not wear heels! Wear comfortable shoes
- Buy the audio…..or you will be lost
- They have areas roped off so you won’t be able to touch anything
- You are allowed to bring your camera. More people were taking pictures than actually looking at stuff. I took a few pics and then put my camera up to enjoy the scenery
- It’s a self-guided tour
- Each room is unique and different. You will appreciate the history and details of the room
- Get background info before you go and check the weather for the area
- Pay for Valet….trust me when I say this you don’t want to walk around the Biltmore and then walk more to get to your car. If you love walking then by all means walk
- Pay for your tickets in advance and keep your ticket on you. I printed my tickets just in case my phone didn’t work
My favorite room was, of course, the library. I wanted to touch those books but they were roped off. It looked like the library from Beauty and the Beast!
I asked my daughter what her favorite part was and she said the pretty lights and the Fireplace.
I asked my son what his favorite part was he said the kitchen…of course that’s his favorite part. Anything that has to do with food.
Now let’s talk about my favorite part…..the wine tasting. It comes with each ticket. I practically ran to the wine tasting after having to cuss the kids out a few times
The wine tasting part is a drive so after you leave the tour hop in your car and drive over to the wine tasting part. They let you taste up to 5-6 different wines. I tasted 4 and found 2 that I purchased. I am also a cook so I purchased more than just wine. I loved the wine tasting because I got to meet various people and taste before I bought. I am usually a white wine person but I bought a sweet red wine that was very good. You will have to taste test to see which one you like.
Here are a few more tips
- Don’t stay on site if money is tight. It’s expensive and there are other places you can stay like the Asheville Cottages. This is where we stayed!
- Deerpark is a place you can eat at. I would suggest you eat there. The food and atmosphere was very nice
- Don’t just visit the Biltmore while in Asheville. Make sure you plan accordingly and do other things. Tour the area and be a tourist
- Always get a keepsake of your time at the estate. My friend opted to buy a picture her and her son took. I opted to get a mug because I love mugs
It was a short drive for us 3 hours from Atlanta so that wasn’t bad at all. We loved the trip and the history. If you have any questions feel free to ask away! Where did you spend the holidays? Would you visit Biltmore?