When my husband died the kids didn’t say anything about what dad bought them…they always talk about the adventures we took and the memories we made by traveling. This Spring Break I wanted to do a little of that. At first I didn’t want to go anywhere for Spring break because I already have plans to travel in May, June, and July of this year. I thought I would sit Spring break out but after watching one of the last episodes of This is Us where Randall and his father took their last trip together to Memphis I thought you know what…let’s hit the road and enjoy life. My kids are getting bigger and growing up fast….they no longer need a bunch of stuff I want to create memories with them one that includes traveling to new and exciting places. I have been to Charlotte, NC a few times before when I was little but hadn’t been in years isn’t it funny how you can always come back to a place and remember all the good memories……..
We didn’t really have any plans in Charlotte we just knew that it was a new city and we wanted to explore. Of course we checked out the Nascar Hall of Fame and the Discovery Museum but we also ate at new places and walked around the city. First stop when we got in that was to eat somewhere we’ve never been. We decided to check out Midwood Smokehouse for some grub for dinner
The BBQ was so good…sorry I didn’t get a picture it was in my tummy before I knew what happened. Next we went exploring around the city so many colorful murals
The next day we decided to head out to the Nascar Hall of Fame here are some pointers
- Wear comfortable shoes it’s a lot of walking
- It was so much to see and read I would suggest you take in the moments and not worry about pictures take a few but get to know about nascar
- If you are staying in the downtown area catch the bus so that you can see the area (I wish I had done that)
- you can’t touch all of the cars as most are behind ropes but you can get up close and personal and read about them
- They have a movie that you can watch that will tell you a little history about Nascar
- They have a kids area that is awesome!
- You do have to pay for parking but get on that bus and don’t be caught in the rain like we were
My son was in love and he learned about some of Nascar’s greats. My daughter who I thought wouldn’t love the place actually did and said she will become the first African American Female driver..sorry there is already one Tia Norfleet but I told her that she can become anything she wants and I love that the sport is opened to women period. Anything that boys can do we can do it to and I hope she never forgets that!
She said she was calling daddy up in heaven to tell him we found his car. My hubs had something similar that he use to work on when we first met…she didn’t even know that funny how that happened
She was telling her brother how she would beat him in a race…I let them argue about that in the sky box
They had a great kids area that tested the speed of a pit crew….these two…..I would lose the race if they were in my pit crew
They also had a simulator that you could get into that showed you driving an actual car. I came in 10th place out of 12….*sigh* At least I didn’t finish last. After we were done with the Nascar Hall of Fame the bottom fell out and it poured something serious. Of course I was worried about my hair so we stood outside trying to be brave…..I think one of the managers took pity on us and took us through another entrance to the garage where we were parked so that we wouldn’t get wet. Thank you to whomever that was, goodness you saved us lol.
The next day we visited the Discovery Museum. I put my camera down for this spot so that I can enjoy it with the kids. So many things to learn about science and how stuff works…you will be in here for hours learning ..I loved that they had something for every age group even adults
After we visited the Museum we felt the need for a good burger. We searched online and asked a couple of people at the hotel whats the best burger place in Charlotte and everyone told us Cowbell Burger and Whiskey. Now at first I’m thinking well this might not be a great place for kids so I asked around. No one knew if it was or wasn’t so we took a chance and sure enough kids could come and they had a kids menu. The onion rings…make sure you all get that if you go.
Charlotte was different than what I remembered years ago. One thing I will say it’s not as congested as Atlanta. We were in a major city and the traffic was pretty much nonexistent. I have never been in a city where it’s not a madhouse of cars all around. I loved that! You could pretty much go out and about any time of the day and not sit in bumper to bumper traffic. We truly relaxed and had a great time seeing what Charlotte had to offer.
- When visiting a new city always go somewhere new to eat for breakfast and dinner
- Ask the locals where you are staying what they recommend and don’t be afraid to look on google for reviews
- I had a plan but didn’t have a plan. I wanted to relax and not make any but I knew a few places (based on suggestions) that I definitely wanted to visit
- Carry your umbrella because you never know what the weather may bring
- Be in the moment and don’t always try to take pictures just take in the scenery and if you must take photos snap a few and then put your camera up
Have you ever been to Charlotte? Do you love Nascar?
This post was sponsored in part by the Charlotte,NC Travel and Tourism Board. All Opinions and photos are my own!