It’s a crowded market they say….so many folks are doing the same things they say….how do you stand out….how do you develop something that’s different so that you can make money. Today let’s find out what’s broken and how you can develop a business that fixes it…and let’s also talk about how to stand out in a crowded market.
Everyone bakes cupcakes…..but does everyone have gluten free cupcakes? Does everyone serve cupcakes with your own choice of frosting? There are many times I want a strawberry cupcake but with a cream cheese frosting and most people sell cupcakes as it is….with a strawberry frosting. What if I wanted to create my own cupcake using a reg base but having something else on top. What if I wanted a cupcake that was gluten free? When you think of ways to find out what’s broken you have to also incorporate ways on how you can fix that problem. If the market is crowded lots of people are wanting to spend their money! That’s how you know that you have a winning brand. Focus on what you don’t see in an everyday product and find a way to come up with a way to make it different. There are ways to do that
- Focus on what you want in a cupcake. Do you want something healthier, a different toping, more unique flavors, etc?
- Study your competitors and see what they aren’t doing that you can do. Maybe someone is selling gluten free but only selling basic flavors. Find a way to sell more flavors. Maybe they are selling cupcakes that look like reg cupcakes maybe you can come in and do gluten free cupcakes in a jar (I am sure that’s already out there just using these as examples)
- focus on what you don’t see…think about someone who may be gluten free and listen to what they want and what they aren’t finding
I was a football mom…I hated being out there in the rain most days and sat in my car on days that it rained. Sure I had an umbrella if I had to get out there but what if I wanted to be out there watch the game and be in the comfort of something just for me. I saw this Weather pod on Shark tank a while ago. Great business idea to fix what was broken and appeal to sports moms or people who wanted to be prepared in all types of weather. It’s a proven concept already out there but what if you wanted to stand out and develop something different….how about a pod that actually kept you cool with a fan or one that kept you warm in the winter with it’s own built in heater. I know I would love to buy the heater one because I stay cold….do you see how you can take an idea and fix a problem by doing something different.
- Focus on sports moms who play in all types of weathers not just the reg sports like football or basketball. What would you want as a swim mom?
- Focus on the introverts who don’t want to talk to people what can you offer them with the weather pod
- What about kids who want their own pod to just go outside in the backyard and have their own disney stuff on it or have something with photos on them
- Think about what you don’t see……maybe an older grandparent who can’t do all the noise but wants to see the action…soundproof anyone
Let’s talk AirBnB…a new concept that puts people in homes around the world. Instead of staying in hotel you get to stay in the comfort of a real home! Great idea right but what if I as a photographer wanted to rent a house for a few hours to do some photos….can I do that…nope. I would have to rent for the entire day but what if someone created a house where you can rent it out for a couple of hours instead of one night. What if someone was coming in from the airport and had a layover and wanted to catch some z’ssss for just 5 hours. Is there a concept for that? So do you see how you can find what’s broken if you dig deep and create a whole new idea from something that’s already out there. Trust me every idea that someone comes up with is already there the ones who make millions just take it to a new level. Hotels first now AirBnB….not a new concept just taking it into a different direction.
- Focus on a few hours instead of entire day. What are some things people who travel a lot might need in an AirBnB
- Focus on what you don’t see…….most AirBnB are in the city areas but are there any in the country or areas where the housing population is low
Let’s talk one more concept…the planner. Everyone loves their planner. There are groups for these things….planner parties…my gawd its a great market but….what about the people like me who don’t like to write but want to use pretty stickers. How about someone create a planner online for those of us who want to type in stuff and use pretty pictures. I have yet to see this and that is something for the younger crowds to get into. Make it a monthly plan by having unique holidays on there, places for you to write quotes, various stickers and you can even download it to share with others. I don’t know, but the planner market is a crowded one….you can still find out what needs aren’t’ being met by the planner market and capitalize on that to make you some dough!
- What do you want in a planner? I love planners for the stickers but I hate writing since I am use to typing all the time
- I want something that is just as good as google calendar but with more bells and whistles
- Focus on what you don’t see……a space online just for business owners to use. Maybe a space for more than one family member to access, a calendar for kids that is specific to chores, activities, and daily tasks that they need to do..with pretty stickers
I say all of this to say that it doesn’t matter whats proven you have to stand out from the crowd. I do brand photography…sure I can do weddings, babies, seniors, family portraits, etc. but I wanted to get into a market that wasn’t tapped yet…making stock photos for your brand and having headshots that didn’t look like your typical headshot. No I don’t have the plain white background…my headshots are more of what you do on a daily basis with some life to them. If you are a lawyer…we will do some headshots in front of a court room, do some shots of you carrying your briefcase inside your office, do some office shots of you sitting with clients. Do you like to exercise as a lawyer? Let’s do some real life shots so people can know you are a real person behind the suit. I have a lawyer who bikes to work…lets get a shot of you biking to work that speaks to the people. People want to know you aren’t a boring person and they want to know the person behind the suit. That makes for more money and more of a connection for you. Sure everyone can buy stock photos online….I provide stock photos that fit your brand with the colors that you already have in your logo. I make it unique to just you so that you don’t have to share with hundreds of other people looking for stock photos. Now let’s talk about how to stand out from the crowd….
- Bring your voice to your brand. People hire you because they like YOU! I am fun and crazy…boring people and I don’t get along so they probably won’t like me and therefore they won’t like my work.
- Offer more bang for your buck. How do I stand out the most? By offering more…most people do mini sessions where you get 30 min with 5 photos. I may offer 30 min and offer all the best photos that turn out great so I may take 60 photos and 30 comes out great…I will give you all 30.
- Listen to your customers….they will tell you what you want. If they find something broken in someone else…you can be the person who fixes it. That’s how I came up with branded stock photography. I heard that a lot of people were tired of using the same stock photos for their brand and they wished that they had photos that no one else could use….that’s where I come in
Take a look at your business and find out if something is broken or something new needs to be added to your existing services. You never know what could be the next big thing from something already proven in the market.