A few weeks ago I attended the Disney Social Media Moms on the road event that stopped here in Atlanta, GA. I have been to Disney and I knew about some of the fabulous things that they offered but I never imagined that I would learn so much about how to run a business. Better yet…I learned how to run my social media better with tips. Who knew I could learn how to run my blog better with tips from Disney. The day started off with breakfast….well no let me rewind it started off with me being in traffic for almost 2 hours. I live 45 min from Atlanta and it took me almost 2 hours to get to my destination. Breakfast that morning with coffee was a must!
After settling down I decided to parlay with my bloggy buddies and meet some new people before the day got started. Of course a selfie is in order!
Ok so let’s get down to business I will bullet point some of the things I learned and also share more on my FB page for now here are my notes
- I learned about Disney Dreamers Academy. I am applying for my son as soon as he turns 13
- I met one of the dreamers from the academy his name is Jordan Williams. He has his own business that represents young moguls check it out here
- One of the things he said was that if you don’t use your gifts…you can misuse your time. Don’t waste your time on things that aren’t what you are supposed to be doing. Find your gift!
- Be a great storyteller and master the difference between writing and storytelling. People want to hear a story…if you can tell a great one people will listen
- When you are writing a blog post….what is it that you want your audience to feel? What is the story you want to tell?
- Find a subject that you are passionate about and then write. I am passionate about business which is why I created a separate space just to house that. It’s time to hone in on my passion
- YOU ARE YOUR BRAND
- There is power in engagement not #’s
Let’s stop and talk about engagement vs numbers. So for me I use to look at the big brands and see that they wanted to work with bloggers who had high numbers. I did all that I could to get my numbers high and my social media accounts to reach a certain status. I thought that would propel me into the big bucks as a blogger. Well things are changing and so is my mindset on numbers. No longer do I care to get my numbers high I would rather have 10 people engaged on my posts that will buy a product or buy into what I am telling them vs 1000 people who probably won’t even see your post. On average I have about 60-100 likes on my Instagram out of those I know every single person who likes my stuff because they are engaged on either my instagram, blog, or Facebook page. Most are even signed up to my newsletter. That is my audience. Yes it’s small but I bet you any amount of money they hang on to every word I say and they are always waiting for my blog posts religiously. They are the ones who will buy the products I talk about or do the things I mention that I do in my posts. That is your audience. Not the thousands of folks who could care less about who you are. I am learning that the few that I reach are the ones who have the buying power so I will continue to love on my small audience and not worry about being big. Besides being to big makes you forget who you are sometimes and I don’t want to ever forget my humble beginnings that’s why folks love me….I don’t forget where I come from.
We took a break from things and was able to talk with people in the room. We also got some Disney Pins…I was told that I am exactly like the character Pin I got……what do y’all think?
Video is king….it emotioanlly engages the audience. When you do video think of these things
- You wanna make people laugh…no one wants to sit and watch a boring video if you can’t make them laugh
- Make them cry…always touch them in some way
- Always give a subtle message and lead up to stuff
One of the examples that they gave was to start off with twitter. Post something on there with a picture that leads up to something. Let’s say you have a blog post coming out in two days. Take the time today to post a teaser on Twitter. Then create a post on your Facebook fan page that gives another teaser. This can be done in video format also. Then on the day of the post….create a photo that engages your audience on your instagram and have that photo be a teaser that leads up to the final destination …your blog. Use each social media tool to lead into what you want to talk about. I thought this was genius and I will be incorporating this more often. Even if I don’t use twitter I will do FB and Instagram like this. I want all of my teasers to lead back to my space….my online space.
The highlight of the morning was when we got to hear Kim Fields talk. One of the things that resonated with me is that she said that “Ain’t no princess without a queen” We as mothers are queens…we are the SHAT we do it all and still manage to raise our children. YASSSSSSS
I also got to meet Mickey and Princess Tiana…my daughter was jealous lol
All in all I learned a lot. I will share on my FB page some of the video and other lessons I learned so make sure you like my page and follow me over there.
Disney is more than just a park these days. It’s a well oiled machine that can help you become a better you.
What’s your favorite Disney Movie?