This year has come and gone in such a whirlwind I can’t believe we are almost at Christmas again….I mean you might as well say you are the way the time is moving. 2017 was a great year so far here is what I’ve done
- I spoke at my first blog conference in May. It was scary but I think I did good. I spoke with my Fab Five girls and it was fabulous to speak with my sisters.
- I attended Blogher….that conference….I wasn’t happy at all with the results but more on that later. I did meet a lot of people and my network of folks went up so that was a good thing from the conference
- I took the kids to Busch Gardens for the first time
- Starred in a couple of videos this one is my Favorite
- Photography has shot me through the roof. Funny…I didn’t start off ever thinking I wanted to be a photographer I always did it for fun but photography has surpassed my blog in a huge way and it’s scary
- I cut out a lot of after school activities for the kids because I was tired going from place to place
- I became best friends with someone who was always my friend but we actually got to know each other better this year and we can officially say we are besties lol
I have done a lot and I want to do more but I think fear stands in my way. Here is what I want more of for the 2nd half of 2017
I want to take my photography to new heights. I want to become thee commercial photographer for brands. I take photos of families, I do senior portraits, I do events but I really really want to do brand photography or what some would call…commercial photography. I love small businesses so that is who I want to work with. I want to take photos of their product or service and become the photographer for certain brands. One brand that I absolutely love is the Dry Bar. I stalk their instagram daily and I want to do what they have done for a client where I come up with creative ways to showcase their product or service by taking fun and exciting photos. I am scared y’all…..I am scared that I am not good enough. Sure people have said so but I look at others and think to hell with it. I think it’s one reason I charge so little because I fear that I am not that good to charge more. It’s hard admitting that but even though my photos are good to me they aren’t great and I get discouraged all the time. So in order to boost my confidence I will do a challenge starting at the end of the year to hold myself accountable to take more intentional photos and connect with more people. It’s time to kick my own butt into gear! I am going to start by cleaning out my Instagram and getting rid of people whom I just don’t want to see in my feed and only following those whom I connect with and find appealing. I have started to do that more and more these days. I am reclaiming my time and cleaning up my act when it comes to photography.
My blog posts have gotten out of hand just a tad bit. I was trying to push out content after content earlier this year until my girls said hey Kita….you are going back to that magazine voice again. I had to sit down and think do I just want to push out good content or great content so I decided to take a step back and write less posts with more intentions on who I am. I am now writing on Mondays, Wed., and Fridays of every week! Wed will always be some type of business related posts and Mondays will be all about travel, parenting, or hot topic. Fridays I will leave for the food side of me because I can’t let that go. I was a caterer at one point in my life and I love food so I want to be more intentional with my food posts. A lot of people have asked me well what is It’s Really Kita all about. It’s simple…..a blog about my life which includes everything that I love in my voice. It’s really about me….I don’t think I need any other explanation. I want people to know me for the crazy cussing fool that they always see. I want people to see my posts and relate to something. I want people to laugh, cry, and learn a lesson. That is my goal with my blog posts…..to write about something going on in my life that maybe you can relate to and apply to your life. I am starting to reclaim my time on blog posts and write whats going on in my life
I want to sell a product. Dammit…..I don’t want to sell tshirts though. You know who I love? I love Ashley Brooke Designs! This company is a beast and sells almost everything I want to sell. I love their mugs and their clear cups but I don’t want to sell notebooks because I don’t write lol. I want to sell something but I don’t know what I want to sell. Some people tell me to just do the service part of my blog and don’t sell anything but I am itching to have more money coming in and something that can make me money in my sleep without me having to do much just put it up on a website and sell it. I am not crafty but I do love cups and I do love bags. I like tshirts but I don’t want to sell a 30 dollar shirt because I myself don’t wanna pay that much for shirts. You see how confusing this is……*cries* My goal is to come up with some type of product by the end of the year even if I have to partner with someone. I want to sell something…SHAT
I have two VA’s so don’t think I do all of this alone but even with them I want them to be more intentional on what they do so I can drive more traffic to my site. As a blogger my main money comes from the services I offer…not from my blog so while I love to blog I just don’t make any money from it. I sometimes want to start a photography blog/website separate from my blog but I am afraid to run more things…..I don’t want to start a whole new website and new social media channel just to talk about photography when I love to talk about other things as well. I am on the fence about starting a photography website separate from this site but I might take the plunge at the end of the year…..might. I don’t even know what I would call it but for now I am happy to have everything on one site!
The rest of my 2017 goes like this
- More intentional blog posts
- Incorporating more behind the scenes on social media and using instagram stories more for business
- Taking photographs that speak to my audience a little better and have an action plan on what to posts. I might start doing days like Truth Tuesday, What I’m doing Wed. product of the week, what I am doing all weekend, etc.
- No more following the rules….I create my own rules and follow what works for me
- Spend more time one on one with my kids
- Have the kids help out more with my business and involve them. My daughter has the task of creating ideas for photos from my blog posts and my son is starting to take photos of me more
- Read more….I am reading a book a month but I think I can find the time to do two a month BTW….what are you reading? I need to add some more books to my list
- Attend a photography conference
- Find a mentor for business
- Find out what the heck I want to sell
- Lose at least 15lbs I know I was going to do 50lbs but I think 15 is more reasonable at the rate I am going
- Laugh more and be more real
I want to thank you all for sticking with me for this past year. I know I talk about losing my family a lot and stuff so for those that have stuck with me a huge huge thank you. The best way to keep up with me is to sign up for my newsletter at the bottom of the page. It comes out every Tuesday with a giveaway in every newsletter. It’s where you get me unfiltered and raw about life’s happening. I am on snapchat but the name is hidden because y’all don’t wanna see what I do over there at all. Remember to put me in your feedly and as always if you have any questions about photography email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Thanks again and stay tuned for more Kita in 2017.