I love taking headshots but not the boring kind you see around with the plain white background or the black background. I mean those are nice and it’s great to have them but I like headshots that show a little more flavor. A little more of who you are goes a long way in a picture. People wanna buy from you…and they want to know who you are. Here are some tips for the perfect headshot.
Pick the right photographer – Y’all…this is important. As a photographer I cuss a lot and I am downright funny (so they say) I don’t want any boring people working with me and boring people will find me harsh and not funny. Pick a photogrpher that matches your personality. If you are boring then find a photographer who is really business like and does everything to a tee. If you are fun and exciting find a photographer who likes to take risks. I might ask you to skip down the path…and then stop and throw your head back…I am trying to get the perfect photo. If you ask me why you need to skip or don’t find the fun in what I’m asking you to do then we can’t work together.
Be consistent with your brand – if you are the type that wears jeans and a tshirt…wear a jeans and a tshirt to your headshot session. Don’t change up because you are trying to be something you aren’t. If you like to dress up then dress up but if that isn’t your branding or who you are then the picture will look weird and you won’t be comfortable. If you like the color pink you better show up wearing pink like its going out of style
Location matters – I always take shots with a background that fits your style. If I am doing headshots for a baker we aren’t going to go outside and take photos in front of a mural. We are going to take photos in your bakery with some fun shots of you and your creations. I always want you in your element so I make sure I find a place to do that and we can always find a background that matches who you are without it being boring.
Focus on the eyes – The eyes are the windows the soul….for me it’s the widow to your business. I have taken many headshots and I always get closeups and people can tell the type of person you are with the headshots that you take. Your eyes can tell if you are excited about your business, or if you are just doing the business for money, or if you are tired of doing what you do etc. The eyes can tell a lot about you and your business
Here are a few more tips
- Go pro! Headshots need to be taken by a professional not your friend with an iphone camera. Sometimes you may need a headshot that needs to be a certain pixel for something. Your cell phone camera won’t cut it. Save the cell phone shots for your instagram but hire a professional for some great photos that you can use professionally
- Don’t go crazy with the makeup. My camera picks up everything and it can also pick up on all that makeup. I can retouch but it’s best to look as natural as possible
- Angles are fun and makes you stand out. I always use a certain unique angle for my clients to use to show some fun
- Natural light vs studio – I am not a studio photographer although I do have a studio I can use. I am more of a natural light photographer if you want studio then seek out the best studio for your needs. Studio photos tend to cost more so make sure you factor that in
- Have fun! Relax your photographer should bring the you out of you
Here are a few headshots that I have taken