I love fish. I admit I try not to eat Tilapia too much these days because of the stories but I still eat it from time to time! Fish tacos are something that you can cook on a busy weeknight and it feeds a family of 4!
Buying the Fish
I buy my fish only when it’s on sale. Publix had them on sale for $5.99 a lb (that will get you at least 3-4 pieces of fish) that is the only time I buy fish. If I don’t buy from Publix I get my fish from the Dekalbs Farmers Market in Decatur, GA. You can use any fish you like I choose to do Tilapia for this but I sometimes switch and do flounder (my favorite) I stay away from the frozen fish but if you love them you can use those too.
- 4 Hard Corn Tortillas
- 1 Cup of Red Cabbage – thinly sliced
- 2 Limes
- Salt and Pepper
- Whatever fish you love
- 2 Avacados
- ½ Cup of Mexican Cheese
- Hand of Cilantro – Diced well
- 2 Tomatoes – Roma – seeded and diced well
- 1 teaspoon of Cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- Olive Oil
Here is what I didn’t have to buy either because I had it or didn’t buy it and did my own thing.
Olive oil, chilli powder, cumin, mexican cheese (I used what ever cheese I had), salt and pepper, Roma Tomatoes (I had can tomatoes so I used those) I didn’t use Cilantro at all.
The total amount of money I spent in the store came to $8.00 the Tortillas were on sale, Limes and Avocado didn’t cost that much and the red cabbage was the most expensive.
8.00 + 5.99 = Round off to about 14.00 with tax.
While your fish is cooking shred your cabbage or put it in a food processor. (You can buy the ones already done in the bag but I like making my own coleslaw add some mayonnaise, salt, pepper and sugar to it and you are good to go)
- In a bowl combine the following: avocados, Juice from ¼ of a lime, pinch of salt and pepper
- In a bowl combine red cabbage, juice from ½ lime, salt and pepper ( about ½ tsp of each) and tomatoes – mix well and set aside
- In a small bowl mix chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper ( about ½ tsp of salt and pepper) sprinkle over fish
- Heat a little oil in a skillet – add fish and cook for a few minutes
- While the fish is cooking spread the avocado mixture in the taco shell – add cooked fish add cabbage mixture – top with cilantro and cheese